Total Pageviews

Friday, May 13, 2011

Broken Things to Mend

I once read a book called “Broken Things to Mend” by Jeffrey R. Holland.  I’ve decided I need to re-visit that book.  I have days that I feel like this:


So I’ve decided to share thoughts from the book as I re-read it. Just reading the inside flap of the book uplifts me.  This is what is says:
“Most of us feel a little broken at some time or another, and we know others who feel so as well.  We face personal trials and family struggles.  We get discouraged and downhearted.  Many people, enduring conflicts fought in the lonely foxholes of the heart, feel their lives may be damaged beyond repair.
. . . Elder Jeffrey R. Holland’s characteristic good cheer and brilliant insights offer the surest and sweetest remedy of all.  He invites all readers, not just the poor in spirit, to come unto Christ and receive ‘the strength that comes from experiencing firsthand the majesty of His touch.’”
As positive as I want to be, there are times when it is very hard. In Matthew 11:28-29 it says, “Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.”
I’ve always worried about making ends meet.  It is a concern since I lost my job a year ago. But we have been truly blessed over this last year and I am amazed that we are doing as well as we are.  I know I need to learn to trust the Lord more, not just in finances, but in every aspect of my life.  All I have to do is follow him and he will give me answers to my prayers, he will give me rest to my soul. 
Elder Holland stated that often our trials result from the actions of others or just the mortal events of life. But anything we can change we should change, and we must forgive the rest. The Savior will take it from there.
What a comforting thought! I just need to remember this. He will not turn his back on us when we are striving to change and forgive.
The following is from the book:
In Nazareth, the narrow road,
That tires the feet and steals the breath,
Passes the place where once abode
The Carpenter of Nazareth

And up and down the dusty way
The village folk would often wend;
And on the bench, beside Him, lay
Their broken things for Him to mend.

The maiden with the doll she broke,
The woman with the broken chair,
The man with broken plough, or yoke,
Said, “Can you mend it, Carpenter?”

And each received the thing he sought,
In yoke, or plough, or chair, or doll;
The broken thing which each had brought
Returned again a perfect whole.

So, up the hill the long years through,
With heavy step and wistful eye,
The burdened souls their way pursue
Uttering each the plaintive cry:

“O Carpenter of Nazareth,
This hear, that’s broken past repair,
This life, that’s shattered night to death,
Oh, can You mend them, Carpenter?”

And by His kind and ready hand,
His own sweet life is woven through
Our broken lives, until they stand
A New Creation—“all things new.”

“The shattered [substance] of [the] heart,
Desire, ambition, hope and faith,
Mould Thou into the perfect part,
O, Carpenter of Nazereth!”

No comments:

Post a Comment