Total Pageviews

Friday, May 6, 2011

Gratitude


The following is a story that my husband sent to me in an email. We don’t know who the author is but it’s a great story.               
PASS THE BISCUITS!!

 “When I was a kid, my mom liked to make breakfast food for dinner every now and then. And I remember one night in particular when she had made breakfast after a long, hard day at work. On that evening so long ago, my mom placed a plate of eggs, sausage, and extremely burned biscuits in front of my dad. I remember waiting to see if anyone noticed! Yet all my dad did was reach for his Biscuit, smile at my mom and ask me how my day was at school.
I don't remember what I told him that night, but I do remember hearing my mom apologize to my dad for burning the biscuits. And I'll never forget what he said:  "Honey, I love burned biscuits."
Later that night, I went to kiss Daddy good night and I asked him if he really liked his biscuits burned. He wrapped me in his arms and said, "Your momma put in a long hard day at work today and she's real tired. And besides... A burnt biscuit never hurt anyone!"
I love this story! This husband and father was grateful, not only for the biscuits, but for the love and time that went into the biscuits. He set a great example for his child. It is an example of many different things: love, selflessness, caring, sacrifice, humbleness, gratitude, etc.
I remember my mom telling me once that she was keeping a “gratitude” journal.  She found something to be grateful about each day and made an entry in her journal. How much better would our lives be if we gave thanks each day for what we have?
G.B. Stern stated, “Silent gratitude isn’t much use to anyone.” Gratitude needs to be expressed.  Tell others “thank you”, even for the smallest act of kindness.

I found the following online and will end my post with this:
Be Thankful
Be thankful that you don’t already have everything you desire,
If you did, what would there be to look forward to?
Be thankful when you don’t know something
For it gives you the opportunity to learn.
Be thankful for the difficult times.
During those times you grow.
Be thankful for your limitations
Because they give you opportunities for improvement.
Be thankful for each new challenge
Because it will build your strength and character.
Be thankful for your mistakes
They will teach you valuable lessons.
Be thankful when you’re tired and weary
Because it means you’ve made a difference.
It is easy to be thankful for the good things.
A life of rich fulfillment comes to those who are
also thankful for the setbacks.
GRATITUDE can turn a negative into a positive.
Find a way to be thankful for your troubles
and they can become your blessings.
~ Author Unknown ~

             

No comments:

Post a Comment